Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Flight Home

I am FINALLY HOME! It was a long journey, but well worth it. As I was touching down in Salt Lake, (if I may wax poetic,) I almost cried at the beauty of the spilled-mercury-like silver Great Salt Lake against black mountains, poison-like orange sky and glitter thrown about on the black desert valley. (It's a desert right? .. "cold desert"?) Well, ok. I flew to LA, then from LA to Salt Lake. The first flight was eleven hours. I was way sick of reading so I resolved to watch movies the entire time, I calculated I could fit in approximately 4. I got through "Coco avant Chanel," then "Hannah Montana: The Movie" (which I highly recommend,) then I noticed the old French guy watching "He's Just Not That Into You," so I watched that too. After that, I watched the little plane on the map inch along the screen ... across the Bering Sea, down across Canada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada. I had a little fireworks show in my head when we crossed the US border ... I knew that even if we had to emergency land I could use 3g data roaming on my iPhone for free.
Once in LA I immediately bought a fountain diet coke & perused the candy shelf of the little convenience/souvenir store. I (overzealously) bought Newsweek, The Economist, Time, & People as I was eager to see what I missed while I was gone. I got through the first part of The Economist and the whole Newsweek (most of it was about serial killers and drug smugglers,) then waited on the plane eagerly for landing!!! I was so happy when I finally walked out into the airport, I wanted to cry (& maybe I did.) (Maybe not.) My whole family was there to meet me & I was so, so, so, so happy.

I had a great experience in France but coming home was incredible. I missed it so much. I learned a lot over this summer, & I plan soon to write a final post laying out the knowledge & wisdom I gleaned from the city of love & light.

No comments:

Post a Comment